Tuesday, January 19, 2010

I have read too many books

Went shopping for a book. So what, you say but this is like shopping for the ideal house for me.
Other people read books, I devour them. I have read whole libraries, ok, small ones and all the English fiction books. I read anything except pot boiler romances and westerns. Ok, I read Shane but that is a social comment on American life at that time and has a story and believable characters.

I often take out the same books that I read years ago. I love a good murder but even those are becoming formulaic..what a great word. I go to shops and get bored with the following:

1. She was forty something, recently divorced, decided to rent that cottage to lick her wounds and then a stranger on the beach makes her cross and guess what? They end up falling in love and find themselves.

2. She/he is an Asian person struggling with the generations of their culture in the middle of London or Manchester....and guess what, they fall in love and find themselves.

3. She is a 30 something, bored, broken up with the boyfriend and decides to apply for that job in the paper....and guess what, they fall in love and find themselves.

4. She/he is a tired detective, socially inept, divorced, burnt out and either a child is missing and there is abuse involved or a woman has gone missing and it ends up being the member of the choir she goes to, or there is a serial killer that turns out to be a local, or...you get the jist.

So, the search is still on.... Put this photo on because I loved taking it and it sort of sums up my thinking at the moment.

1 comment:

  1. Try the book I mentioned on my blog - We Need To Talk About Kevin. As far as I can tell, no one falls in love, but someone's child murders his school mates?

    Also - try Middlesex by Jeffrey Eugenides - quite a good read.

    www.bookdepositry.co.uk is fabulous and cheap.

    ReplyDelete